Ten days to go until Nordic Business Forum 2023! Today we want to share some tips for how to make the most out of networking at the event.
10 Tips for Networking
Networking has always been an integral part of the Nordic Business Forum experience. In fact, many of our attendees have listed it as one of their most important reasons to attend! We want you to make the best out of the event days and create meaningful new connections through which you can learn and grow.
Here are 10 tips for making the most out of networking at the event:
- Prepare your elevator pitch. Networking is for making valuable connections with the right people. Think of how to introduce yourself and what you do in 30 seconds.
- Do some research. Prepare for your meeting by checking the person’s profile. Think about why you want to meet this person and what you could learn from them. Prepare a question or two.
- Have a pen at the ready. It may be wise to take some notes at each meeting. (Pro tip: if they hand you their business card, use this to write a few notes about the conversation)
- Focus on connections. Instead of selling, focus on building relationships, creating connections, learning between peers, and providing value.
- Be interested, not interesting. Instead of trying to impress the person with your know-how, focus on learning who your new connection is and what they know. Find out what you have in common.
- Givers gain. Think about how you can help the person you meet. People will remember how you made them feel. Networking at NBF is mostly peer-to-peer networking with a heavy focus on learning from one another and solving each other’s problems and opportunities together.
- Agree on the next steps. Will you call them, or will they e-mail you? If you feel the connection is valuable, make sure to agree on the next step.
- Make a to-do to follow up. Value the connections you make, and make sure you remember to follow up on the agreed steps soon after the event.
- Be authentic. You are trying to build relationships that will hopefully lead to collaborations or friendships. By being yourself, you make sure the right people will find you.
- Be open to spontaneous encounters. We know it’s easy to stick with the people you came in with and stay in familiar company. However, this is a brilliant chance to make new connections and friends at every corner!
We hope you find these tips valuable. See you in 10 days!